The Healthy Fathering Collaborative defines a healthy father as a father* who:
- plans to have a baby at the best time for his family;
- attends prenatal health care appointments;
- participates in the birth of his child;
- is present at the hospital discharge;
- arranges for his child's car seat;
- supports his child mother in breastfeeding;
- changes diapers;
- makes sure his child is put safely to sleep;
- plays with his child;
- reads and interacts with his child;
- nurtures and financially supports his child;
- eats well, exercises and teaches his child nutrition and healthy activities;
- talks to his child about healthy sexuality, appropriate touch and healthy relationships;
- promotes and role models nonviolence and respect for others;
- is actively involved in his child's education;
- knows his child's friends and activities;
- listens to his child;
- cooperatively parents with his child's mother and other caregivers;
- nurtures his own emotional, mental and physical health, role modeling healthy behaviors for his child;
- nurtures his own spiritual health and support his child's search for spiritual guidance and meaning.
* We embrace fathers and father figures of all types - biological, foster, adoptive and step fathers along with male relatives and adult male mentors.
Healthy Fathering Collaborative of Greater Cleveland, ©2011
Healthy Fathering Collaborative
P.O. Box 606194
Cleveland, OH 44106
*Email is the preferred form of contact.
The Healthy Fathering Collaborative generally meets on the first Friday of every other month. Our meetings are open to anyone who is interested in our mission of providing quality services to fathers and families.
Click on the link below to find out about our next meeting or email us to be added to our contact list, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ohio Practitioners Network for Fathers and Families
A statewide network of fatherhood practitioners, advocates and stakeholders.
To check it out, Click Here.